Click the Above Image for a basic map
showing the streets in Old Town and
the adjacent freeways.
Click the image above for a larger
view of the Old Town trolley.

Click the image below for a larger
view of an Old Town merchant
store called Colorado House.
CLICK THE IMAGES
ON THE LEFT OR
RIGHT TO VIEW A
LARGER
REPRESENTATION.
CLICK THE IMAGE
TO THE RIGHT TO
VIEW A LARGER
VERSION OF THE
WHILEY HOUSE AS
IT LOOKS TODAY.
The Whaley's House:

In the middle of Old Town San Diego resides a
unasuming house called
the Whaley House. Built in 1856 over a gallows
the building served as
a home, theater, pool hall and courtroom by
Thomas Whaley, it is the
oldest two story brick building on the West
Coast of North America.   
It is called the most haunted house in North
America and is
recognized as such by the USA government
historical association. It
is also listed as California State Historic
Landmark #65.  Supposedly
the ghosts of hanged prisoner James (aka
Santiago) Robinson and also
Mrs Anna Whaley appear in the house.

The Whaley House
2476 San Diego Avenue
San Diego CA
619-297-9327

For more information click the link:
http://www.whaleyhouse.org/
TROLLEY TOUR:
Adults (12+): $30.00
Children: $15.00
Infant: Free

PRESIDIO
MUSEUM:
Adults (12+): $5.00
Children: $2.00
Infant: Free

Open 9am-8pm
HISTORY:
Presidio Hill is where the first San Diego mission
church was actually built in 1769 (prior to being
moved in 1774 to its present location) by Fr
Juniper Serra.  The Spanish Navy also built a fort
along the hill to stake a claim to the land and
protect its interests against the English and
Indigenous Indian population.  The total
population in 1796 was about 180, with roughly
half comprised of soldiers.  The hill is currently
home to a museum with a replica of a mission
church (built in 1929) and ongoing archeological
digs for ruins of the original church and Spanish
Fort strewn about the hillside.

The hill has traded hands between the Kumeyaay
Natives, the Spanish Navy, the Mexicans (during
the 1821 Mexican Independance revolt) it fell to
ruins after 1831 and in 1846 became American
during the Mexican-American War.  In 1871 the
settlements remaining on Presidio Hill were razed
by a fire.

The museum houses furniture, tools and a cannon
that was used at Presidio Hill since its first
settlement.

LINKS:
www.sandiegohistory.org/mainpages/locate4.htm
CLICK THE IMAGE TO THE LEFT
FOR A LARGE MAP OF THE
PRESIDIO PARK AND JUNIPER
SERRA MUSEUM.
San Diego's Old Town consists of museums, shops, homesteads, hotels
and restaurants in what consisted of San Diego's first settlement next to
Presidio Hill.  Tourists can buy costume jewelry, soaps, glass works,
typical tourist collectibles, religious articles and flowers in the area.  If you
are hungry there are dozens of restaurants (serving mostly Mexican food,
though there is one asian and italian restaurant) and snack bars.  Jewelry
costs tend to be a little more pricey than what you wuold find in Tijuana,
but the market is much safer.  A government recognized haunted house
called Whaley's House can be found in the Old Town district (see bottom
of the page).  Many of the shops and restaurants have mid 19th century
antiques and props that decorate the building interiors. In the summer
tourist months some shop owners even dress in classical attire.  The San
Diego train service and a trolley service transports tourists to Old Town
from the major shopping and hotel areas of the city.  

Many of the museums and current structures in Old Town were built
1820-1830 when San Diego's population swelled to 600 residents.  Close
by is the Presidio Hill museum where the first San Diego Mission church
was built in 1769 before being moved to the current location off of
Mission Gorge Road.
Click the links below for more information:
http://www.oldtownsandiego.org/
http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sandiego/a/oldtown.htm
A cross from the original
Mission Church remaining
among the ruins at Presidio Hill.
The museum is modelled after designs
from the Spanish mission churches.
Some of our wedding photos will
be taken around this park after the
wedding ceremony.